- A father asks a California school district to require unvaccinated children to stay home in hopes that his son, whose leukemia is in remission and who cannot be vaccinated, will not be exposed to measles.
- In related news, there are now anti-vax pet owners.
- The names, addresses, social security numbers, and other personal information for up to 80 million Anthem health insurance customers has been accessed by hackers.
- Prader-Willi Syndrome, one of the only known genetic causes of obesity, causes significant health problems. This piece in the New York Times Magazine highlights Rachelle, a young woman seeking treatment for the syndrome.
- The BBC published a series of maps illustrating the growth of the Ebola outbreak within Africa and the presence of Ebola on other continents.
- It’s about time the Americans with Disabilities Act is applied to websites.
- The FDA has approved a new internal tissue adhesive called TissuGlu (what a creepy name) for use in surgeries removing excess fat or skin and for repairing separated abdominal muscles.
- Lots and lots of Chinese kids wear glasses.
- In store-brand herbal supplements, 4 out of 5 contained fillers like powdered rice and asparagus rather than the herbs named on the packaging.